Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Why - My Idea for "Summer Harvest for Hope"

The idea for this service project came about after talking to Mr. Gerald Sudduth of the Fayette Samaritans back in February, 2009. He said that the need for donations requested from this organization had increased by 30% ever since the economy had declined. He also said that they receive may food drives during the autumn, spring, and winter, but not many during the summer, a time when the need for help is highest.

After a little research, I decided that I wanted to do a service project that would mean a lot to a lot of people, and this is why I chose to do this project.

My goals for this project are: 1) to collect 10,000 non-perishable food items on this one date; 2) collect clothing items that will help stock the clothing shelves; 3) make this an annual event, and 4) do the best I can with what I have. I also hope raise awareness for these two "hero organizations" in the Fayette County community.

I hope to announce the drive through local newspapers and radio stations. If you have any contacts for newspapers or radio stations, please e-mail me at raulrojas@bellsouth.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment